Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What you never thought you wanted...

This morning the Times ran an article about Facebook and their new considerations of participants under the age of 13.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/05/facebooks-friends-propose-restrictions-to-allow-tweens-to-join-the-site/

I would never have said this a month ago, but for me, this comes as a big relief.

A few weeks ago, my daughter begged me to let her go on Google+. Again, a few months ago I would have said absolutely not. But with the more research I've been doing -- and the more thinking I've been doing -- I had to rethink my position. For one thing, I really like the social and the media in social media. I think it can be good for kids. For another thing, a lot of her friends were already on it -- and i know a lot of those kids -- and I like them. Last year we moved towns and schools, and personally, I like the idea that my daughter can keep in touch with her old friends. I moved a lot when I was little -- and I lost people who I have just now refund thanks to Facebook... it's kind of great to imagine the differences for my kids... And finally, I still have some pull with my daughter; I would just assume she start social media now, while that is still true -- and while we are still on the not quite there end of the hormonal balance continuum. Really. In a lot of ways 11 feels like a much more stable age than 13.

The thing is, I wish it was Facebook.

First of all, as far as I can tell, you have to pay for privacy settings. And they seem to be on a per-post basis -- and I can't see what her settings are.

Second of all, I DO NOT trust Google. At all.

And I know Facebook -- I know my way around.

I am also sure that a lot of these kids are on Google+ because their parents have thought enough not to let them on FB, but don't really know what Google+ is to forbid...

Well, anyway -- we are on Google+ -- and I am learning about it. The coolest part of it was that she asked if she could make a Google+ acct for TTYN. Love that.

This is all changing so rapidly we simply don't know where it is all going. Isn't it strange how suddenly FB seems to me to be the old familiar...

I suppose there is some element simply of letting go of the idea that we are doing anything but riding down-stream. Riding the current and waiting to see where we land, or what the ride is like. Watch your feet for stones -- for branches!

The most important thing is to keep paying attention. I suppose even more than what are they doing -- how are they thinking? How are they feeling? Do they feel like they are drowning... 




No comments:

Post a Comment